A mother-of-three who spent two years being treated for multiple sclerosis has been cured with a simple course of antibiotics – after it was revealed that her symptoms were actually caused by a tick bite.
Julia Marshall-Wessendorf, 37, was facing life in a wheelchair after being mistakenly diagnosed with MS, a condition which attacks the central nervous system.
But when her symptoms deteriorated, she carried out her own research and discovered she may have been infected with Lyme disease following a bite from a parasitic tick.
Now, after years of expensive drug therapy and injections for MS, a simple course of antibiotics has cleared all of her symptoms.
Mrs Marshall-Wessendorf’s troubles first started in 2010 after she went to her GP complaining of a numb finger two months after the birth of her daughter, Peggy.
She initially thought she had trapped a nerve carrying newborn Peggy around, but when she was sent to a neurologist she began to worry.
An extensive MRI revealed lesions on her brain and spinal cord, consistent with MS.
‘Initially, I was really glad of the diagnosis because MS was a well-recognised illness and a lot of money had been put into researching it and providing medication,’ Ms Marshall-Wessendorf, from from Bath, Somerset.