Gingival recession, also known as receding gums, is the exposure in the roots of the teeth by a loss of gum tissue and retraction of the gingival margin from the crown of the teeth. Gum recession is a common problem in adults over the age of 40, but it may also occur starting from the age of a teenager, or around the age of 10.
This is a perfect time for bacteria to grow, because the gum around the teeth corrodes and it looks like your gums recede backwards, and then your teeth are more visible. Because the root of the tooth will be exposed it can lead to extreme pain and sensitivity of the tooth. You can lose your tooth because it can have a negative influence over the structure and bone of tooth.
This process is slow and it happens gradually, it is really hard to notice this problem. If your teeth have become very sensitive, and if you noticed that the size of your teeth has changed (that they are larger than before), then you may have this problems because those are the first two indicators.
What causes receding gums?
Gum disease can be caused by another reasons:
1. If you don’t brush your teeth at least once daily, it can lead to calculus which is hard substance which can lead to gum recession.
2. The opposite of brushing your teeth is aggressive brushing. The enamel on your teeth will be destroyed if you brush your teeth very aggressively which can lead to receding gums.
3. Sometimes it is because of genes. This is helpless situation.
4. Another thing that can lead to receding gums, especially among women is hormone imbalance.
5. If you are a smoker, then this is another good reason to quit smoking. Not only that smoking causes lung diseases and cancer, it causes receding gums. What leads to receding gums, is that tobacco can get sticky plague on teeth.
6. Peridontal diseases(bacterial infection in the gums) cause damage to the supporting bone of the tooth.
7. What puts pressure on teeth and what can cause receding gums is clenching and grinding your teeth, and also using force to take bits while you eat.
8. The weirdest reason is piercing your lips or tongue.